Music

Music
credit: stonehamschools.org

Tuesday 27 January 2015

TALENT DAY 2015

The stage is just about set for our Talent Day in music class this week.

I am excited to see what some of the children are preparing to present for us in their music class.

Although I sent an email out about Talent Day, here are some things I'd like to clarify:


1. Talent Day is strictly for the students:
Unfortunately, no parents are welcome at this activity because I want as many children as possible to participate and enjoy performing without the stress of presenting to an unfamiliar audience. This is the first chance many will have had to perform a musical talent that they are working on.

2. No one is obligated to perform for Talent Day:
Although I fully acknowledge that the nature of the activity is stressful to many students, it is important to encourage your child(ren) to come up with something to present. Motivating the children to want to practice a piece of a musical nature is one of my goals for this activity. However, it is meant to be FUN for all, so it's too much stress and not enough fun, the way to participate this time around is just by being a good audience member.

3. The children can:
Sing a song, do a dance or play an instrument....something they have practiced alone or with friends. Arranging a "play date" for the children in a group to work on their performance is encouraged if it's possible for them to get together.

4. I do not necessarily know what the children are going to present:
The children are required to let me know what they are doing for talent day and their song choice if applicable so that I can filter the content and make sure it is appropriate. However, you should speak to your child about what they are planning and they should be in charge of discussing with their group members if necessary as to what song they will perform. Also, some children may decide to present on the day of the Talent Day but were not signed up  - I will always support that and do my best to fit them in if time allows.

5. A scheduling conflict with a field trip has changed Mme. Lyne and Mme. Le Vasseur/ Mme. Sophie's music classes to Thursday afternoon. (the 29th) They will be combined with grade 1 classes. This will be a great opportunity for the children to learn from each other (as the grade 2s know all about Talent Day from last year and it is new to the grade 1s).

6. Instruments:
Please notify me (written note or email) if you plan to bring your child's instrument to school. If you are worried about it, it can be dropped off in the office and it will be kept locked up in the music room until pick up at the end of the day.

7. My objectives for this activity:
This activity feeds directly into the music appreciation component of music class.
I introduced Talent Day as a way to spark the students' curiosity in music and encourage them to want to practice a musical talent they may be developing. In our regular music class, the students don't always have the opportunity to show off their musical talents.
By watching others and discussing the performances, I hope that some children may be inspired to learn to play an instrument or to be less shy about singing, dancing. or performing for others. Performing builds self-confidence and the ability to express creativity, important to develop in all children and best to start encouraging at a young age.
With this activity, I hoped that parents would also become involved with encouraging the children to discover and experiment with music at home in preparation for the Talent Day. In our school community, I know that parents are very enthusiastic about fostering all kinds of learning in their children and we are fortunate as teachers to work with such a supportive group. Talent Day is also used in my classroom to teach the students about proper audience etiquette/behaviour. This way they will be able to listen to and appreciate their classmates' efforts in presenting for the Talent Day...and maybe they'll remember some of what we practice the next time you take them to a movie or a show.

I am really looking forward to Talent Day in all of the classes. The grade 2s kept asking me whether we were going to have one this year, so I guess it was a hit with them last year. I know that this year will be just as rich of an experience for everyone involved.

Please excuse me for such a long post! Wow!

Thank you again for your support.




No comments:

Post a Comment